We all have times in our life when feel like everything feels overwhelming. You might feel pulled in too many directions. You might feel irritable or exhausted. Here are a 5 activities you can try to quickly bring some calm into your life:
- Get Warm! Take a warm shower or bath. Get in a hot tub or sauna if you have access to one. Many people find heat to have a strong calming effect. Taking a warm shower or bath can also help you fall asleep faster.
- Get moving! Any kind of exercise will help bring your body more into a state of relaxation. You’ll find your mind will slow down and become calmer. For relaxation, you don’t have to do a rigorous workout. A 10 minute walk around the block can have a profound impact on stress
- Get Writing! Sometimes when we’re stressed, all of our thoughts seem like a jumble. Many people find getting their thoughts on paper (or the computer screen) allows them organize what’s going on in there mind. You can keep your writing or delete it after you write. It’s up to you!
- Get mindful about food! Start noticing if you feel any more stressed after eating sugar or caffeine. From a mental health perspective, these are too foods that can cause some people to feel stress more easily (but not everyone!). Starting to notice how sugar and caffeine effects you will give you information around if you want to make any dietary changes.
- Get Breathing! Try this breathing exercise from my last blog post! Doing slow, controlled breaths send messages to your brain that you are okay. In turn, the brain send messages to the body to calm.
You'll be supervised how just taking a few minutes of your day to try one of these activities will leave your mind clearer and your body calmer.